Hastings Prince Edward Public Health (HPEPH) serves the County of Prince Edward, Hastings County, Quinte West, and Belleville, Ontario from offices in Trenton, Picton, Bancroft and Belleville. HPEPH operates one of 35 public health units in Ontario.
HPEPH provides dozens of programs and services, along with reliable health information to a population of approximately 150,000 people in our 7,000 square kilometre catchment area. Here is a quick overview of the services we provide:
- Direct care in community clinics for vaccinations, pregnancy screening, dental services, and cervical screening;
- One-on-one counselling to clients regarding safer sexual health, communicable diseases, quitting smoking, and more;
- Information to residents about how their choices affect their health;
- Assistance to help make workplaces safer;
- Inspection and prevention services to control sources of disease in the environment;
- Advocacy - together with schools, municipalities, employers, and community groups - for change in public policy that enhances the well-being and health of our community;
- Protection of the public by continually monitoring and reporting on the safety of water supplies, beaches, restaurants, and the general health of the population;
- Education to clients about such subjects as prenatal care, infant and child care, nutrition, safe food handling, health hazard prevention, and more.
You are not authorized to access this content.
Together with our communities, we help people become as healthy as they can be.
Healthy Communities, Healthy People.
Our Values Show We CARE
Collaboration - We work together as a team with our communities, colleagues and clients to build effective partnerships.
Advocacy - We are a voice to influence public policy and take action to improve health.
Respect - We treat others with dignity, respect and integrity.
Excellence - We strive for excellence through effective public health practice and promote a culture of innovation and learning.
Hastings Prince Edward Public Health’s Board of Health is the governance body that oversees the operations of HPEPH and ensures that operations are carried out according to the Health Protection and Promotion Act, The Immunization of Pupils Act and Smoke-Free Ontario Act.
The Board of Health ensures the Health Unit meets the mandatory health programs and services for public health standards developed by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
The Board of Health is comprised of elected officials from four municipalities: City of Belleville, The City of Quinte West, Hastings County and Prince Edward County. In addition, local citizens are appointed by the Province of Ontario to sit as members of the Board.
The Board of Health meets on the first Wednesday of each month and is mandated to set HPEPH policy, approve budgets and assess the quality of programs and services.
|Jo-Anne Albert, Chair
Mayor - Municipality of Tweed, County of Hastings
Dr. Craig Ervine
Mayor - Municipality of Marmora Lake, County of Hastings
Considering a meaningful career at Hastings Prince Edward Public Health?
Ask yourself these questions:
- Do you want to make a positive impact on the lives of others?
- Are you passionate about giving children, teens and adults the information and support they need to live a long and healthy life?
- Interested in using your Health Sciences degree and/or professional training to help more than 160,000 people?
If you answered “yes”, then Hastings Prince Edward Public Health might just be the perfect place for you!
Working at Hastings Prince Edward Public Health
Hastings Prince Edward Public Health (HPEPH) employs more than 130 staff providing a range of health services through more than twenty different programs. All of our programs use a multidisciplinary team approach. We integrate the unique talents of the different professions into dynamic, flexible teams.
- Public Health Nurses
- Registered Practical Nurses
- Public Health Inspectors
- Certified Dental Assistants
- Registered Dental Hygienists
- Registered Dietitians
- Health Promoters
- Home Visitors
- Dedicated Administrative and Support Staff
In addition, we support dozens of student placements including summer, fall and full-year practicums. Our student placements are attended by first, second and third year students who are interested in gaining practical experience.
The main HPEPH office is located in Belleville, Ontario. We also operate three branch offices to serve the communities of North Hastings, Central Hastings, Prince Edward County and Quinte West.
Our service area reaches from the shores of the peaceful Bay of Quinte on Lake Ontario, north to the rugged beauty of Algonquin Park. The area has the convenience of two large urban centres with cottage country less than a half hour away. Our region combines Ontario’s best outdoor recreation with city conveniences and a low cost of living.
Wages at HPEPH are competitive and we offer a full benefits package including medical, dental and disability coverage for permanent staff. We provide for flexible working hours centred on a 35-hour work week.
For more information, please contact us through email@example.com.
We welcome those with disabilities. To make arrangements for accommodation in the recruitment process, please indicate this in your submission.
- IT Service Desk Analyst - Full-time, Contract (Competition 19.02)
- Public Health Nurse - Full-time, Contract (Competition 19.04)