Immunization Services | Hastings Prince Edward Public Health

Immunization Services

The Importance of Immunizations

Hastings Prince Edward Public Health provides immunization services to people of all ages living within Hastings and Prince Edward counties. Your age, lifestyle, high-risk conditions, type and locations of travel, and previous immunizations determine which vaccines you need to receive. You are never too old for immunization.

Hastings Prince Edward Public Health offers routine immunizations through various appointment times in Bancroft, Belleville, Picton, and Trenton. To book an appointment in Belleville please call 613-966-5500 ext. 221, to book an appointment in Trenton please call 613-394-4831, to book an appointment in Picton please call 613-966-5500 ext. 221 and to book an appointment in Bancroft please call 613-332-4555.

When certain criteria are met, all vaccines that are part of Ontario's Publicly Funded Immunization Schedule are offered at Hastings Prince Edward Public Health immunization clinics free of charge. There are some vaccine that are not publicly funded but are available at Hastings Prince Edward Public Health for a fee.

  • Influenza (Flu)
  • Pertussis
  • Pneumococcal (fee may apply)
  • Shingles (fee applies)
  • Tetanus/Diphtheria (every ten years)

What You Need to Know about the ISPA

The Immunization of School Pupils Act requires Ontario students attending school to have up-to-date immunizations. Being fully immunized protects students against diseases that can be dangerous and easily spread to others. Specifically, the Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA) requires students to be vaccinated against:

• Diphtheria

• Tetanus

• Polio

• Measles

• Mumps

• Rubella

• Pertussis (whooping cough)

• Varicella (chickenpox)

• Meningococcal disease

**Please note that under the ISPA, students can be suspended from school if their immunization records are not up-to-date with Public Health.

What if I decide not to immunize my child?

Statement of Medical Exemption or a Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief Affidavit for Child Care Centres or a  Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief Affidavit for JK- grade 12 must be submitted to Public Health if you decide not to immunize your child. A cover letter for daycares is also requested to accompany the exemption/affidavit. All Affidavats must be signed in the presense of a Notary Public or a Commissioner of Oaths prior to bringing the originals to a Hastings Prince Edward Public Health office to keep on file. If you are submitting a Statement of Conscience of Religious Belief for schools, you will now also be required to complete an education session offered through Public Health. Please call 613-966-5500 ext. 221 to book an education session.  Please allow one hour in total to complete the education session. 

How do You Update Immunization Records?

Immunization records and updates are not automatically provided by health care providers. When children receive their immunization(s), it is the parents responsibility to call Hastings Prince Edward Public Health at (613) 966-5500 or 1-800-267-2803, ext. 221 to update their children’s immunization records in our database. You can also take a photo or scan your child's immunization record and email it along with your child's name, date of birth and health card number to or fax records to 613-966-8145.

To report or submit your child's immunizations go to the Immunization Connection Ontario website.

You can sign up for an Ontario Immunization ID and PIN by following the instructions below for obtaining and printing a record as well as submitting immunizations. However, you can still submit an immunization without an Ontario Immunization ID and PIN but you will be required to enter additional information along with the dates and names of vaccines given.

To view or access and print an immunization record for you or your child, follow the instructions below:

First-time user
If you have never been assigned an Ontario Immunization ID and PIN, you will require an Ontario Immunization ID and a valid Ontario Health Card Number (HCN). If the HPE Public Health Immunization department has sent you a letter in regards to a student's immunization, the Ontario ID number will be on the letter. If you have not received a letter then call HPE Public Health at 613-966-5500 to get an Ontario Immunization ID. Access the site to register.

Returning user
Individuals that have previously obtained an Ontario Immunization ID and PIN for the ICON system will need to re-register using the provided Ontario Immunization ID and a valid Ontario Health Card Number (HCN) due to system upgrades. You will only need to re-register once.

What is done by Hastings Prince Edward Public Health regarding Immunization Records?

We review immunization records annually for all students attending school in our area.

  • In late fall, we send a questionnaire home to parents of students who do not have up-to-date immunizations.
  • If no information or inadequate information is provided by February, we will send out a Reminder/Questionnaire to Overdue students indicating the date the student will be suspended from school if the information is not provided.
  • If by the suspension date the student is still not up to date, Hastings Prince Edward Public Health will provide each principal with a list of student names who have a Suspension Order.  The student will not be allowed to enter school until the order has been complied with.

What immunizations are given in school?

Grade 7 immunizations (hepatitis B, HPV and meningococcal) are provided by Public Health in local schools each year. All vaccines are provided free of charge and are provided to students to protect them from these three serious diseases. 

  • The clinic nurse will use different strategies to minimize any discomfort, like distracting your child and asking your child to relax their arm.
  • It’s possible that your child may receive up to three separate shots, one for each vaccine, during a clinic.
  • Your child will receive the vaccines in the upper arms. On clinic days, they should wear clothes that will allow easy access. The nurse will ask your child some questions about his or her health prior to vaccination.
  • If your child is absent on the day of the vaccine clinic, contact us to make other arrangements.
  • Sometimes there are minor side effects, such as pain, swelling or redness in the arm. 

How do I get more Information?

Please call our Immunization and TB Testing Line at 613-966-5513 ext. 221.

TTY: Dial 711 + (613) 966-5500 + GA (Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)

Related Resources:

School Vaccine Information from

Adverse Event Following Immunization (AEFI) -Information Fact Sheet for Parents

Why Vaccinations are a Healthy Choice for a Strong Immune System: Myths and Facts

Tips for parents for a positive immunization experience.

School Immunizations History Form