Children in child care centres are more prone to infections due to exposure to a greater number of germs. To help prevent the spread of respiratory infections and contagious diseases in child care centres:
- Ensure children in your facility are immunized.
- Encourage parents to keep sick children home until they are well enough to participate in all activities.
- Teach children good personal hygiene, including hand washing, not sharing personal items, cutlery or drink cups/bottles, and coughing or sneezing into a tissue or their elbow.
- Ensure surfaces in your facility are cleaned and disinfected properly.
- Report any suspected or confirmed communicable diseases or outbreaks within your facility to the Public Health Communicable Disease Intake Line at 613-966-5500 or 1-800-267-2803, ext. 349.
- Infection Prevention and Control in Childcare Centres: Requirements and Best Practices
- Canadian Paediatric Society
- Canadian Paediatric Society – Managing Infections
- Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014
- Diseases of Public Health Significance & Reporting Form – online form / printable pdf
- Child Care Centre Cleaning & Disinfection Schedule