Healthy Smiles Ontario
Hastings Prince Edward Public Health delivers the Healthy Smiles Ontario program, a government-funded dental program that provides free preventive, routine, and emergency dental services for children and youth 17 years old and under from low-income households.
As of January 1, 2016, the following 6 publicly funded dental programs will be combined into the new Healthy Smiles Ontario program:
- dental benefits for children under Ontario Works (OW);
- dental benefits for children under the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP);
- dental benefits for children under the Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities program;
- the Children In Need Of Treatment program (CINOT);
- the Healthy Smiles Ontario program (HSO); and
- preventive oral health services provided by local public health units.
Children and youth currently receiving care from the programs listed above are still eligible for free dental services. Additional information, including how to apply or re-apply to the new Healthy Smiles Ontario Program is available at www.ontario.ca/healthysmiles.
For more information or for assistance completing the application form, call our Oral Health Program at 613-966-5500 or 1-800-267-2803, ext. 680.
Oral Health School Screening
Dental hygienists visit all provincially funded elementary schools in Hastings and Prince Edward counties each school year, and screen students in certain grades. These screenings do not substitute a child’s regular visit to the dentist.
Did your child bring home his/her Dental Report Card?
If you have questions about the Oral Health School Screening program, call our Oral Health program at 613-966-5500 or 1-800-267-2803, ext. 680.
Oral Health Clinics
Preventive Dental Clinics are offered at Hastings Prince Edward Public Health offices to children and teens 17 years of age and under to help keep their teeth healthy.